From the Museum Website
“History of Transcona
The name “Transcona” was chosen to commemorate the railway to which the town owes its existence. It is claimed that the name “Transcona” was chosen from thousands of contest entries and was a combination of “Transcontinental” and “Strathcona”.
- “Transcontinental” – either for the CPR Transcontinental trains that passed through the area or for the National Transcontinental Railway who constructed the shops in cooperation with the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway
- “Strathcona” for Donald Alexander Smith, also known as Lord Strathcona. He headed one of the groups responsible for constructing the Canadian Pacific Railway. In 1885, Lord Strathcona drove the last spike into the CPR railway.
Establishment of the Town-site
- In 1906 or 1907, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway surveyed an area in the Suthwyn district for the future site of the western repair shop and the town of Transcona.
- In 1907 or 1908, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway purchased 800 acres of land located 8 miles east of Winnipeg from John Henry Kern for the construction of the railway repair shops and the future town-site.”